I was in the kids room putting away toys while Allie was napping and Preston was watching a cartoon. Suddenly, I hear a loud crash and come out to find Preston with his leg pinned beneath the TV screaming that he is stuck(I later notice the tv has a dent in the top where it pinned his leg). I grab the tv off of him and try for a while to console him, realizing that fast as his leg was swelling and as loud as he was screaming, that it was probably broken. I called Jayson and my mom for help. Jay rushed home and my mom came and grabbed Allie. We loaded up into the truck for more room, knowing that he wouldn't get in his carseat, and started toward the hospital. As soon as we got inside the truck, Preston started to fall asleep and totally calmed down, so we decided to go to the immediate care first.
Right when we turned the truck off and started to get out, he started screaming again(and they told us they didn't have an x-ray machine small enough for him) so we loaded back up and went to the hospital instead. By the time we got there, he was calm again. We checked in(all the while, Preston sitting on my lap) and waited. He was fine. We got taken to out room. He was fine. No more tears. He even tried to walk on it. The nurse brought toys and he even started to flirt with her.
By this time, Jay and I wondered why we were even there. Preston was happy as a clam on the hospital bed chatting up a storm with the cute ER nurse. The doctor came in and insisted that we get an X-ray just to be safe(Preston loved that part, he thought the HUGE "camera" was so cool) and gave him a pain killer. While waiting in our room for the x-ray results, the pain medicine kicked in and Preston started getting hillarious. A male nurse came in and tried to get Preston's vitals, but he was talking so loud and fast, telling me all kinds of strange stories, that the nurse couldn't even hear his heart beat.
The results came back and Preston did in fact fracture his left tibia. They decided to put a temporary cast on it until the swelling went down. As they were putting it on, the cute nurse had to hold his leg in the air while the doctor wrapped the ace bandage around the splint. He kept telling me, "Mom, I LOVE this, wow, I LOVE this." I was dying laughing. Then. The cherry on top! The cute nurse accidentally leaned on top of his "little boy parts" and Preston looked her straight in the eye and said, "Don't touch my penis! Jesus gave me my body and my penis is special. Don't touch my penis!" That was it. The entire room was roaring. The doctor finished up and as we were ready to leave I asked the nurse if Preston could have the popcicle that he was promised. She asked him what color he wanted(he chose orange) and left to get it. A few minutes later she came back with a red one. He looked at her again and said matter-of-factly "I told-jya Orange!" Again, we started dying laughing.
Shortly after leaving, Preston zonked out for the night. That Friday he chose a blue cast to replace the ace bandage one he previously had on. Currently, he seems to be doing pretty well with it. He gets a little frustrated because he is slow and a little clumbsy and it gets sore at night, but he is walking like a champ and gets it off in a few weeks. He reminds me a little of the monkeys on "Planet of the Apes" because his leg bows out when he steps. I would like to say he learned his lesson about moving the tv and climbing, but I have a feeling this is not the last cast he will wear. 
6 comments:
I was wondering if you were gonna have time to post since it is one of your resolutions but I am glad you did! I think he is getting better with it but how can it not be frustrating! At least the whole thing wasn't a horrible nightmare you got LOTS of laughs! And we can only hope this is as bad as it gets right?! Now to pray that mine don't do the same thing :)
I laugh every time I hear the ER story. You did a good job remembering, that's just the way you told it to me. I'm glad he is feeling better and getting around more. Less frustration, happier Preston (and mommy and daddy) Love you!
Awesome to read the story from the Hospital. LOVED IT!!
-Ryan.
YIKES! I'm so glad that he's okay, and that it wasn't any worse. I'm so glad I haven't had that experience yet. Good luck with the recovery.
Darin came home that night after giving Preston a blessing with Jay and told me about the ER stories. What a funny kid. He is such a tough cookie I wished some of that would rub off onto Baylee.
oh man Natalie! What a horrible, funny, unforgettable expericence. I was crackin up so hard! and the penis comment... priceless!! journal it!
Post a Comment