Thursday, September 25, 2008

Another lesson learned!

Our house is pretty well baby-proof, although, there are a few things I can't figure out how to lock up...the computer..we have it in an open room practically begging for Preston to come in and push the blinking buttons...the oven...preston opens the oven door and uses it as a stepstool to get on the counters and into the sink to play with the water...the dishwasher is a great stepstool as well...the back door...it's a slider and he knows how to open the lock, I am so greatful for a fenced yard... Today... I realized the importance of putting away the cleaning supplies. I was in the process of cleaning the bathroom and got distracted doing another project, I left the cleaners in the bathroom and shut the door...I came downstairs a few minutes later, realizing that Preston was being way too quiet, to find the bathroom door wide open and him squirting the 409 bottle into his mouth. It took me what felt like an hour to find the phone book so that I could call Poision control. Thankfully, they told me that he would be fine, but it made me realize how unprepared I am for that kind of situation. I have resolved to keep important phone numbers like that posted clearly and I will never "come back" to a project without putting the cleaning stuff away first.

5 comments:

The Cornett Family said...

We had a similar experience where Breck got into ammonia and dumped it all over himself as if he were showering with it. He had gotten it all in his mouth too. sick. Breck's also discovering the joys of the oven. How the heck are you supposed to baby-proof that???

Linda said...

I just want to know what FLAVOR 409 comees in... can't be all that good! Then again - I have been known to try TWO bites of something because I couldn't believe the initial taste was really THAT bad... glad he's going to be OK. Will his insides now be as clean as the top of the oven???

I'm Dani said...

I can't telly you how many things Jayden has gotten into. One really good website is www.safety1st.com they have every kind of "baby proof" thing you can think of. Including lathches so that the kid can't open things up to use them for climbing. Good thing he's okay. Good luck. Such is the life of a mom with a boy!

Josh and Kate said...

Broom sticks for sliding glass doors! Works like a charm! We've had situations with our kids with cleaning supplies. You should make an emergency phone list for the fridge. Ethan's favorite... ginger bread scented counter cleaner!

Taylor said...

Yikes! close call! I bet you have that poison control # on speed dial now.